We should maintain that if an interpretation of any word in any religion leads to disharmony and does not positively further the welfare of the many, then such an interpretation is to be regarded as wrong; that is, against the will of God, or as the working of Satan or Mara.

Buddhadasa Bikkhu, a Thai Buddhist Monk


Monday, May 14, 2012

Doubt Belongs in Church

People come to faith in many different ways.  One size does not fit all.  For many, doubt is an important part of the search.  I count myself among that number.  Doubt has been an important friend on my faith journey.  it is a gift that keeps me from being sure of things I should not be sure about.  Yet, it is porous enough to allow me to put my trust in things that are (for me, at least) worthy of my trust.

In her posting, "My Faith: Returning to church, despite my doubts," author Andrea Palpant Dilley briefly documents here own journey from faith to un-faith and back again and makes two points.  First, she writes, "My doubt belonged in church."  Second, she concludes, "My doubt is actually part of my faith."  Her posting is relatively brief and worth a look.